The wargame ramblings of a cleptomaniacal eccentric and all before I'm 30!!!

Wednesday 28 December 2011

WIP's Of The Festive Period

Well, merry Christmas and a happy new year to your and your kin. Another year passes and what have you done? This year I have mostly spent more money on minis without finishing the ones I already have. What a fickle bunch we wargamers are! I'm sure I'm not alone in this but I am slowly making a concerted effort to mend my ways. How long it will it last? Oh, until GZG open up in the new year I suspect so its all hands to the grav pump before then. What's a grav pump? No idea but I'm sure it will come in handy at some point. Oh and for all you really fickle wargamers out there, keep reading because there are several photos of minis at the end of this rambling blog!

Anywho, I'm kinda glad this year is coming to an end as it hasnt been a very good one for me personally in many ways, but, alas, despair not for I have a wonderful and lovely new partner (she knows I have this blog) and I start my great new job on the 9th January so all being well it is going to be a bright new start for me and I am looking forward to 2012. Providing, that is, that the Mayan's got it wrong (although they havent so far!). If they didnt get it wrong then I look forward to a very interesting year of cataclysmic proportions.

Now on to business. It is traditional, at this time of year, that wargamers recount how many minis they bought compared with how many they painted and based and make ridiculous new year resolutions along the lines of "I'm not buying anymore 'til I have painted up the ones I've got, honest dear." And typically despair at the growing mountain of lead shut away in draws, boxes, bags and hidden in hollowed out books along with the receipts (just me then???).

However, I am about to show you the light and an alterative approach to the lead mountain. Traditionally, wargamers have always been at odds with the lead mountain fearing its seemingly infinite painting and basing time as it begins to be distorted by "L" space (Lead space- yes I stole the concept from the one true storyteller). Wargamers view their own personal lead mountain like a volcano. Guilt and despair riddle the wargamer, the feelings of which being directly proportional to the size of the lead mountain and money spent, and fear that one day the lead volcano will finally erupt in dispair and abandonment killing the wargamer in a furious fountain of molten minis, surely a dread sight to any true wargamer (molten minis not dead wargamers- wargamers are ten to a penny).

But I say unto thee: And do not despair wargamer
for I am the light, and will light your way
And together we will climb the lead mountain
And upon that mountain you will find enlightenment

For this lead mountain is yours, truly yours. It is where you have chosen to spend your hard earned money because you love the hobby and where there is love there is light at then of the tunnel. In this lead mountain is a wonderful thought. At any point, when you ave some spare time to sit down at the desk, worktop, bench, kitchen table, dining room table, garage, shed- wherever you paint, at any time you can paint anything from any period you have expressed interest in through buying the minis for that period. You can get the minis out and fondle them lovingly seeing the potential, and the victories that are yet to be won on the table top. You can get the accompanying books out, thumbing through them, only looking at the pictures. But most importantly you can sit there and immerse yourself in a different world, a different time, every time, simply because you do have this little lead mountain of your own. So dont stare at it despondently- stare at it and fondle it lovingly. All it asks in return is this. That every so often very part of it is loved. Embrace the lead mountain and you will have a happy year indeed.

I would just like to add that, I have also recently discovered that my new partner is intrigued by every aspect of wargaming and in the last two weeks has read two rule books to become familiar with them (Gruntz and Full Thrust) in anticipation of our first game together either with FT starships from GZG or with 15mm Stargrunt minis from GZG.

Detail of a rusty reservoir on the tracked heavy APC from GZG. These are colonist armoured vehicles for my 15mm Sci-Fi stuff. Part of an ongoing project.

Rusted bin and reservoir on a wheeled SPG. Another 15mm Sci-Fi vehicle from GZG. The turret is a slightly different shade as the story is a slightly newer turret was lifted onto an older hull.

Current 15mm Sci-Fi WIP's. All vehicle from GZG.

In the foreground, 15mm Sci-Fi infantry in a now abandoned colour scheme. Everything from GZG. Apart from the Wargames Foundry paints obviously.


In the foreground some Full Thrust Neu Swabian League starships also from GZG.


In the words of tonight's ddinner: That's All Folks. Well, until next time- see you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment